Using Ubuntu machine as wireless router?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 08:26:58 UTC 2008

2008/10/19 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I will be using the builtin wifi from my laptop, which has an Intel
>> chipset.
>
> You may be out of luck with the Intel card. First check if the standard
> firmware for your card supports AP mode, I know that the standard
> firmware for my IPW2200 card doesn't. There is a firmware available for
> AP mode but it may violate the regulatory approval for the card. And
> check if the hostapd software supports your Intel card.

Ah! Just the informative post with the right keywords to get me
googling that I need. I am outside the US, so regulatory approval is
not critical for me. I'm off to google to get started.

So that I can be less of a pest in the future, what did you google for
to get that information? Or did you just happen to know that?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il