Still trying to get to 1680x1050 WAS: Upgrade to 8.04 stuck in 800x600

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 19 01:56:17 UTC 2008

On 10/18/2008 06:30 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/18/2008 12:29 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> Just finished the upgrade to 8.04 -- and am now stuck in 800x600. I have
>>> tried dpkg-reconfigure...hand editing the xorg.conf file and prayer. So
>>> far nothing works. My card is Intel built-in video (865) my monitor is
>>> an LG206wtq-bf LCD widescreen. Everytime xorg doesn't like the config it
>>> brings up a monitor/card selection program...but the resoluation is so
>>> bad you can hardly read any of the selections...none of which work anyway.
>>> Anybody have any good ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Can you please try rebooting, and select the second kernel (recovery
>> mode). Then select the xfix option on the next screen, let xfix do it's
>> thing, then select the first option on the list to resume the normal
>> boot.
>
>   Did that....no good...800x600 again....generated a minimal config
> file...which I know is no good.
>

> If that doesn't work, then once into the desktop open a terminal and:
>>
>> gksu displayconfig-gtk
>>
>>>From there you will be able to select your specific monitor and graphics
>> card. You'll need to logout and then log back in for the changes to take
>> effect.
>>

>   Done that already -- my monitor is not in the list (LG L206BTQ) so I
> picked one close...and finally got to 1280x960...but the next available
> option (1792x1211..yeh I know weird) gives me a screen a have to scroll
> around...for example the bottom panel doesn't appear until I mouse down
> there and push. It seems it gives me a mugh bigger screen which doesn't
> fit my monitor.
>
> I am really disappointed in 8.04...Gutsy was running fine...maybe I
> should have left well enough alone...you know if it ain't broke....

If you've done that, then perhaps you can modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file to include the appropriate H/V frequencies:

HORIZONTAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES
	Analog: 30 ~ 83 kHz
	Digital: 30 ~ 83 kHz
VERTICAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES
	Analog: 56 ~ 75 Hz
	Digital: 56 ~ 75 Hz

Or perhaps selecting a different model with the same ranges (L1732TX
Analog for instance), and then make sure that you have 1680 x 1050 mode
settings.