Xorg.conf vs. Xorg.config With BFG Nvidia G71 [GeForce 7300GS] & Hardy 64 Bit

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 18 22:53:25 UTC 2008

Have both xorg config files in /etc/X11/ with the xorg.config(set up with nvidia-xconfig or -settings) and contains the "nvidia-glx-new-envy" driver that I want to use(newest available) but I can't determine by googling if it will even work with my graphic card.  Have had many xorg.conf trial files set up with xfix, nvidia-settings, nvidia-xconfig, whatever, but when I try to enable Compiz via kde4.1, kmenu->System->Desktop Effects, it tells me to reboot so the driver is in effect to enable the desktop effects.  When I do that, whatever xorg.conf I'm using, it goes into low resolution mode again. Then have to fix xorg.conf again, PITA, with the process being reproducable ad infinitum. Virtually all the time I have to add a screen subsection specifying my monitors(LG L226WTQ Flatron Wide lcd) native resolution to get
 out of low res mode.  I'm fairly sure I must be doing something wrong but don't know what and the more I google the more uncertain I am of what to do. Specifically:
1. Am I using the right driver for my graphics card(nvidia or nvidia-glx-new-envy)?
2. When I bought the card, the tech man indicated it is a low end card but capable of running most games and graphics. Is it sufficient to run Compiz?
3. What's the story on having two xorg configuration files?
Which one prevails or is somehow both used by X? Why can I remove the xorg.conf file, leaving only xorg.config, and X still works? This indicates to me that the nvidia-glx-new-envy driver is in effect.  Is that true?  Note: "nvidia" is driver in xorg.conf and "nvidia-glx-new-envy" is driver in xorg.config.
4. How can I activate "Desktop Effects" or "Compiz"(I assume they are the same thing) without going into low graphics mode after rebooting? Do I need both xorg.conf and xorg.config?  Specifically, which nvidia driver do I need for my card(most advanced)?
Any guidance is most appreciated,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net