Using Ubuntu machine as wireless router?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 21:01:32 UTC 2008

2008/10/18 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:

> This howto looks like it should work with 8.04. But I have to admit that I
> didn't check every single command (the machine with Atheros card is in
> use for other things right now). I don't remember that I had to compile
> the madwifi driver, though. IIRC the Madwifi driver coming with the
> linux-restricted-modules package worked out of the box. But beware, not
> every Atheros card works with the Madwifi driver - check it before you
> purchase a card.

I will be using the builtin wifi from my laptop, which has an Intel chipset.

> This thread doesn't seem to be very useful. It might be good enough if you
> want WEP encryption only, but if you want WPA/WPA2 you need the hostapd
> package (and a card capable of WPA/WPA2 obviously). But one of the
> comments included this link which looks quite useful:
> <http://trekweb.com/%7Ejasonb/articles/hostap_20030727.shtml> I think I
> used the information from this page when I was experimenting with the AP
> here.

Ah, thanks.

>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu.ht
>>ml
>
> This seems to be useful for the client side only, not for the access
> point.

Er, yes, that should not have been there. I meant to post a different
link, but it's no big deal.

Thanks, Nils! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il