[Media] 8.04 Servers - Wikipedia

Ben Edwards list4me2 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 18 12:47:51 UTC 2008

2008/10/16 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
> [...]
>> services upon. I am actually required to install Ubuntu LTS on a
>> production server at work soon - the boss made the O/S choice for this
>> one - if I had the choice it would be something more solid.. but hey we
>> don't get everything we want.
>>
>> I do remember switching to Linux O/S's a long time ago for one reason
>> and one reason only: "Windows Updates". At the time they were busy
>> messing the computer up, not fixing anything. The whole apt-get thing is
>> just too close to that for me to be 100% comfortable with it.
>>
>> I think that a lot of people have misinterpreted Res. He is obviously a
>> bit old-school in some respect (hence the preference for Unix-like
>> environments) - And can truly appreciate what an Operating system that
>> doesn't continually update itself is like to use (Extremely reliable). A
>> lot of you younger crowd simply wont get this because you've only ever
>> had access to, or, installed a Linux O/S that sucks down packages allnewbees
>> the time.
>>
>> Understandably Res tried to make a point on deaf ears.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Manux Solutions Limited
>
> Michael Hutchinson, nice email. Wish more people would write with heart.
>
> I can understand everything you said and it makes sense. If I remember
> right Res was the one that was boastful, rude, pompous and swore a
> lot. It does not matter what you say, if you say it like that, it will
> fall on def ears!newbees
>
> With a very highly loaded system you should have load balancing and
> backup systems in place so that if an update fails you loose nothing.
> That said updates should be only to fix bugs and security issues. It
> is very rare that you need a new feature. That all make perfect sense.
> So then the question about Ubuntu servers is, how often do they up
> date and why? What do you get with them that you don't get with
> Slackware?
>
> Really this is a question that is coming up a lot on the Kubuntu and
> Ubuntu lists. Why change? Why go to KDE 4 when 3 works well? Ande most
> of all why go to something with KNOWN bugs when you have something
> that works better? I think that the more people that come to Ubuntu
> and the older it gets the more you will see the devs being forced to
> pick stability over innovation.
>
> Having less innovation and bleeding edge will mean that a lot of the
> early adopters will move on to something younger and sexier leaving
> Ubuntu to the masses. The only way round this is to do what Kubuntu
> 8.04 did and have the bleeding edge as an option for the brave and
> never do what Kubuntu 8.10 is doing, forcing (Come on now, how many
> newbies will know the tricks to avoid it, or even think that it couldnewbees
> be done? They will just download the CD and install it. End of story
> until they show up here wanting to know why KDE does not work well.)
> the average user onto something bleeding edge.

I think emails with wanker and fuckwit should be bounced and an email
sent explaining why such words are only good for flaming.  I haven't
spent much time reading the list for a couple of years but the
beginning of this thread sounds it is a dialog amongst immature
teenagers. This kind of language is considered offensive by many and
would be enough to put some newbies off Ubuntu.

Am I write in thinking that the definition of a fuckwit around here is
someone who does not agree with you - in that case I am a fuckwit and
proud of it;)

Ben