[Media] 8.04 Servers - Wikipedia

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 08:02:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:57:31 +1000, Res wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
>> As Mario said in the email you replied to, getting a process wrong once
>> is not a demonstration of the ineffectiveness of that process.
>
> If it happens once, it can happen again, and most likely has happened
> before, like every organisation, not everything is put 'out there' for
> everyone to see and know, red faces and all that jazz...

Using self-serving logic like yours above I can say that, just because it
hasn't happened to Slack yet, doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen,
maybe tomorrow or later today. The second part of your statement
above doesn't follow logically, happening once doesn't make another time
in the past, "likely".

Please don't misunderstand, I like Slackware and think its configuration
files are well annotated to help the administrator, but I haven't tried it
since 9. Perhaps that is my loss, but it is also my choice. Do you have
any supportable data on the number of Debian and/or Ubuntu servers
*compromised* due to the problem you mention?

In several threads you make comments about Kubuntu fanboys, it seems to me
that this list is not restricted to those fanboys, there appears to be
at least one fanboy of another distro. I do agree with you, we should
mostly discount what fanboys say, they probably have an agenda and it
probably isn't altruistic. However, maybe my filters are a bit different
than yours, I don't see all the fanboy behaviour that you seem to, or
perhaps I just interpret it differently.