[Media] 8.04 Servers - Wikipedia

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 06:09:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Avi Greenbury <ialoneambest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>
>  >                   I think that the more people that come to Ubuntu
>> and the older it gets the more you will see the devs being forced to
>> pick stability over innovation.
>
> I don't think this is very likely to happen. The bulk of the appeal of
> Ubuntu, so far as I can tell, is that it isn't your stereotypical Linux
> server distro. There are plenty of other, more server-orientated (in
> varying degrees, even), distros out there for the people who want a
> stable and mature environment.
> Ubuntu's core appeal is that it isn't a mature, slowly changing distro.
> It's that it generally contains a pretty recent kernel, and that it's
> updated regularly in much the same way as Windows desktops are.
>
> I've always seen Ubuntu server as being very secondary to the desktop
> line - almost for people who've already got a number of Ubuntu desktops,
> and just want something the same with which to serve stuff.

You can keep innovation without pressing the distro into the area of
bleeding edge. For example, waiting for a few months before including
some new whatever, giving it time to get patched to the point of
working most of the time. For the desktop it does not need to be
Server stable but even the desktop should work most of the time. Then
there should be a repo for people that want bleeding edge, things that
will make it to the more stable repo in time. With the repos it is
easy to give the user a choice about how bleeding edge we wants his
*ubuntu to be. The default should be more stable but the option should
be just a click away for new users wanting more. Perhaps on install
the user would be given a choice, Server, stable, cutting edge,
bleeding edge and that would set the repos to the right settings.

--
Douglas E Knapp