About security...

Anthony M. Rasat anthony.rasat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 04:25:20 UTC 2008

>I installed the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS >OS for the first time and i have >this question: do i need an anti >virus/spyware and a firewall? If >so, wich do you recommend?

Short answer:
1) Antivirus not needed unless you want to clean for M$ win machines. The last Linux worm I heard of was at least a couple years ago (Ramen?) Not seeing any Linux virus spreading now and as the matter of fact I personally have never seen any virus for Linux. Note that THERE ARE virus for Linux.

2) I also have never seen spyware for Linux. So much for antispyware for Linux.

3) I have never... Oh. Err, firewall is not something new for Linux. The de facto standard firewall for any modern Linux distro is Netfilter's IPTables and there are many many tools to help user to set up their own firewall. Just ask this list about setting up firewall and someone will help.

--

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465