Reconfiguring X.org video drivers is not possible: /etc/X11/xorg.conf is invalid.

Keith Clark keithclark at k-wbookworm.com
Thu Oct 16 20:44:20 UTC 2008

I have an ATI Xpress 200 video card and it worked well with the
restricted drivers under 8.04.1.  I upgraded to 8.10 last night and all
seemed well but when I reboot it goes into low res mode.

When I tried to activate the restricted drivers I get the following error:

Reconfiguring X.org video drivers is not possible: /etc/X11/xorg.conf is
invalid.

Here is my xorg.conf file:

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "ATI Technologies Inc RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]"
    Monitor        "KDS"
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes        "1280x1024"    "1280x960"    "1152x864"
"1024x768"    "832x624"    "800x600"    "720x400"    "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "ATI Technologies Inc RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]"
    Driver    "ati"
    Busid        "PCI:1:5:0"
    Option        "VideoOverlay"    "on"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay"    "off"
EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
#    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
#    Driver        "kbd"
#    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
#    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
#    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
#    Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
#    Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
#    Driver        "mouse"
#    Option        "CorePointer"
#    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/mice"
#    Option        "Protocol"    "ImPS/2"
#    Option        "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
#    Option        "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
#    Driver        "wacom"
#    Identifier    "stylus"
#    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
#    Option        "Type"    "stylus"
#    Option        "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
#    Driver        "wacom"
#    Identifier    "eraser"
#    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
#    Option        "Type"    "eraser"
#    Option        "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
#    Driver        "wacom"
#    Identifier    "cursor"
#    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
#    Option        "Type"    "cursor"
#    Option        "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
  screen "Default Screen"
    Inputdevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    Inputdevice    "Configured Mouse"
    # Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    #    InputDevice     "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    #    InputDevice     "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"
    #    InputDevice     "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load        "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "KDS"
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite"    "Enable"
EndSection

Any hints as to how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Keith