/var got really big

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 20:04:52 UTC 2008

I have a 1 day old install of ubuntu 8.04 server.  My /var directory is
pretty big.  It seems that most of it is a collection of about 900MB of
.debs in /var/cache/apt/archives.  (I installed kde, gnome and xfce
desktops) I usually won't worry too much but I installed /var on a
separate 3GB partition and if it keeps growing it will run out of
space.  My laptop's /var is only 90MB which is what led me to think 3GB
would be plenty of space.  Do the files in the apt archive ever get
cleaned out?  Is it safe to delete them?

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.