Skype over bluetooth? (yes, I have googled!)

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:01:54 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/10/16 H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com>:
>>> Interesting:
>>> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ alsamixer -D bluetooth
>>> ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth
>>>
>>> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for bluetooth: No such file or directory
>>> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$
>> hmm ... try with the "-c" option. You specify the card number with this.
>> In your case (see above):
>> $> alsamixer -c 1
>>
>> Note that the card number might have changed if you rebooted after the
>> you output of the arecord command above.
>>

> I cannot find the "bluetooth" device in also. c0 is the master, c1 is
> "BT Headset" but that is not the same device:

What do you mean by 'master'?

> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ aplay -D "BT Headset" -f S16_LE
> inOut/fromFirefox/mosquito-17KHz.wav
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM BT Headset
> aplay: main:546: audio open error: No such file or directory
> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$

Okay, let's do this again, what is the output of
$> arecord -l

Then, with the card number "n" from that output, what do you get with
$> alsamixer -c n

> Also, in Skype, I can send sound to the headset over the device
> "bluetooth" but not the device "BT Headset".

We can't yet talk about Skype. We need to get audio capture from
bluetooth headset working first.

ever having been read.