Removing asterisks from a file

charlie derr cderr at
Thu Oct 16 12:14:08 UTC 2008

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>     And if you do not like all that //\./\ which is confusing in the
>> most basic case,
> Most early, possibly.
> Once you've used it a couple of times, it really isn't confusing.
> is not a difficult layout to remember, especially when the only options
> most people need are g for matching more than once and i for matching
> case insensitively.

The OP did ask for a command-line solution.  The point about s/this/that/g being confusing or not is really about escaping things
(imo), but also, if there's an option to move away from a strictly command-line solution, then jumping straight to a GUI editor
might be too far afield.   The way I accomplish this is:

emacs file.txt

(the blank line in the middle is an extra carriage return)