Does anyone know when Openoffice 3 will be available in Ubuntu Repositories?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 16 01:36:28 UTC 2008

On 10/15/2008 02:58 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/02/2008 02:00 PM, John Toliver wrote:
>>> I wasn't sure about whether I should download the .deb files or
>>> whether it would become available on the most recently reported
>>> release date of 10/7/08.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> OOoRC4 is due out middle of Oct. With any luck that will become
>> OOo3.0. When you will see those in Ubuntu repositories is unknown
>> as Ubuntu uses the Novell/ximian/go-ooo builds instead of the
>> OpenOffice.org builds. But I wouldn't guess that you will see
>> OOo(U)3.0 in Hardy as it's an LTS. You probably will only see it in
>> Intrepid - but hopefully I'm wrong.
>>
>> If you'd like to give OOoRC3 a spin the debs are available here:
>>
>> http://download.openoffice.org/680/?intcmp=1461
>>
>> You can install that side-by-side to your Ubuntu OOo without either
>>  affecting the other. The OOo3RC3 will install into your /opt
>> directory and the program files will be located in
>> /opt/openoffice.org3/program. OOoRC3 will create a separate
>> ~/.openoffice.org/3/user folder so it does not interfere with your
>> existing ~/.openoffice.org2/user folder.
>>
>> I recommend that you join the OOo users list (via gmane nntp is
>> recommended as sometimes it's a very high volume list):
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
>
> I'm going to plead homersimpsondoofus here...how the hell do I install
> OO v3? I downloaded the archive and uncompressed it. I took a stab at
> it from there with Gdebi but don't appear to be getting anywhere.
> I even tried running the update as a shell but that just tells me that
> it's skipping all the deselected packages. How did you get it
> installed? Minds wishing to move beyond caveman grunting wish to know! :-)

When you uncompressed it you created a new directory (hopefully - if not
let me know). You then need to open a terminal and then:

cd ~/<extracteddirectoryname>/DEBS

and once in the DEBS direcotory:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

[Note: you don't need to 'force' anything as long as you've downloaded
the proper .tz for 32 bit or 64 bit.]

That will install OOo 3.0 into your /opt dirctory. In order to run it
you will need to then:

/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

Go through the startup dialogs and OOo 3.0 will open just fine.

Once you are happy that it is installed and working, then create a menu
item for it.

Added note: the OOo website has been overloaded since the OOo 3.0
release, so download from a mirror close to you:
http://ftp.stardiv.de/mirmon/mirror-state.html

For you I recommend:
ftp://openoffice.cs.utah.edu/pub/openoffice/stable/3.0.0
and given that I think you are 64 bit, download (use gwget to control
the download & bandwidth):
Oo_3.0.0_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz