dpkg-reconfigure not doing what I remember

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 16:26:16 UTC 2008

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> Used to be that when I did
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> , I'd get a prompt asking me how much
> detail I wanted in my X configuration.
> I'd answer "high," and would then get
> all sorts of lovely questions -- among
> which was the resolution to which I
> wanted to set my monitor/card.
> Now I'm not getting these prompts. Which
> is irritating, because somehow my
> monitor/card just started displaying
> things at 800x600 for mysterious
> reasons.
> Anyone know how to get to the
> resolution-configuration screen?

Similar 'problem' in Debian. However, it is not really a problem.
Apparently xorg does a better job of detecting your monitor than
dpkg-reconf of xserver-xorg package. What ended up working for me was to
let xorg make a new xorg.conf file by itself and it detected all the
resolutions of my new monitor. To do this:
1. Go to a tty (CTRL+ALT+F1 for example) and use sudo for the following
2. Rename your old xorg.conf file (in /etc/X11/) to something else (to
keep a backup). Then xorg.conf should not exist.
3. Restart gdm (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart). You should get a new
xorg.conf file and good resolutions now.
4. If the above doesn't work, you have the backup of the earlier
xorg.conf file. Use that and post there.

ever having been read.