How to change resolution of login screen (i.e. gdm)?

NoOp glgxg at
Mon Oct 13 20:44:15 UTC 2008

On 10/13/2008 09:26 AM, Richard Mancusi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:12, Chris G <cl at> wrote:
>> On my old (Fedora) system when I changed the system resolution it
>> changed it for everything, including the gnome login screen.  This
>> doesn't seem to happen with Ubuntu, the login screen stays obstinately
>> at a rather low (and grotty) resolution and only when the user desktop
>> starts up does it switch to my normal 1600x1200.
>> Is there no way to avoid the resolution switch between logon and user
>> desktop?
>> --
>> Chris Green
> System/Administration/Startup-Manager
> If Startup-Manager isn't there, install via:
> System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
> You can do many things there including limiting the number of
> kernels shown at boot (Advance tab).  This was a question from
> a different thread.

Cool! That lets me select whether to use the -386 kernel or the -generic
kernel as default - thanks.

@Chris: use the following to set for your specific monitor:

gksu displayconfig-gtk

Log off and then log back in. Once you've done that:

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and modify the "Virtual" settings this section to your proper screen
settings (1600  1200):

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Defaultdepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Virtual	1024	768

Test that first (logout/login), and then you may also wish to modify the
depth settings as well depending upon what grapic card you have - I've
found on certain Intel & ATI cards, setting to 16 instead of 24 enables
dri and speeds up my glxgears on those cards by a factor of about 2.