time zone install ssetting

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetil1001 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 18:54:20 UTC 2008

Even it could be solved by setting the hardware clock, that would not solve
the problem! For my, I want the ubuntu clock to show _both_ local time and
UTC
(and maybe some other ...)

Kjetil halvorsen

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Bo Grimes <boslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, Nik N wrote:
>
> > On 10/12/08, Bo Grimes <boslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> man hwclock
> >>
> >> Specifically look at the --set option
> >
> > That is not the solution to our problem. Hardware clock *is*
> > running on UTC, the problem is how to tell Ubuntu that
> > it should use UTC+0 timezone. I've noticed that some
> > distributions have, in addition to "geographical" time zones,
> > also "zones" which are specified as UTC +/- (x). There seems
> > to be no way to specify that in Ubuntu, either at the installation
> > time, or later.  cf.:
>

> Just took a closer look at the --hctosys option which sets the System Time
> from the Hardware Clock, and I don't see why it woundn't work.  Did you
> just assume from the name that I it would only adjust the hardware clock
> without actually reading the man page?
>
> It will also: " set the kernel's timezone value to the local timezone as
> indicated by the TZ environment variable and/or /usr/share/zoneinfo, as
> tzset(3) would interpret them. The obsolete tz_dsttime field of the
> kernel's timezone value is set to DST_NONE. This is a good option to use
> in one of the system startup scripts."

"Perhaps there is no such thing as unilateral power. After all, the man 'in
power' depends on receiving information all the time from outside. He
responds to that information just as much as he 'causes' things to
happen...it is an interaction, and not a lineal situation. But the myth of
power is, of course, a very powerful myth, and probably most people in this
world more or less believe in it. It is a myth, which, if everybody believes
in it, becomes to that extent self-validating. But it is still
epistemological lunacy and leads inevitably to various sorts of disaster."
                -- Gregory Bateson