Root filesystem full: /var/log > 1.8 GB

Bo Grimes boslists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 18:43:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> What is safe to rm in /var/logs? I don't know if there is a problem
> but there is no room to cat files to check and I do not have another
> system handy to mount this disk on.
>
> /usr seems to be quite excessive at > 4 GB and I do not remember
> installing so many programs. Any ideas? If someone could send me the
> output of ls /usr/bin on a relatively new system I'd appreciate it so
> that I can diff and see what I can remove. Thanks.

My /usr/bin on a week old Linux Mint system with a few added packages
(some editors, abiword, games, alpine and such) is only 171 MB.

I will send the contents of /usr/bin to your personal email as I doubt
others want to see it.  Just posting it here so others will know someone
has and you don't get dozens of ls outputs.