Root filesystem full: /var/log > 1.8 GB

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 18:37:23 UTC 2008

2008/10/13 Hal Burgiss <hal at burgiss.net>:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 08:10:24PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> What is safe to rm in /var/logs? I don't know if there is a problem
>
> cat /dev/null > /var/log/$some_log
>
> That will keep the file descriptor in place so that logging continues.

Thanks, good idea.

What is the right way to determine what is filling up a log file, if I
don't even know which log file is being filled? I don't yet know what
the problem is, but I need to discover it fast. I am unfamiliar with
the files in /var/log so I would not know to identify a problem.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il