How to change resolution of login screen (i.e. gdm)?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 13 17:44:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:26:59AM -0500, Richard Mancusi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:12, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > On my old (Fedora) system when I changed the system resolution it
> > changed it for everything, including the gnome login screen.  This
> > doesn't seem to happen with Ubuntu, the login screen stays obstinately
> > at a rather low (and grotty) resolution and only when the user desktop
> > starts up does it switch to my normal 1600x1200.
> >
> > Is there no way to avoid the resolution switch between logon and user
> > desktop?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
>
> System/Administration/Startup-Manager
> If Startup-Manager isn't there, install via:
> System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
>
> You can do many things there including limiting the number of
> kernels shown at boot (Advance tab).  This was a question from
> a different thread.

Not quite what I wanted (but very useful now I have installed it).
The Startup Manager allows one to set the graphics mode for the boot
loader display(s), grub, etc.  What I want to do is to set the display
resolution for the gdm login screen, maybe there's a gdm configuration
utility.

--
Chris Green