Finding /dev entry of USB disk

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 16:09:34 UTC 2008

2008/10/13 charlie derr <cderr at simons-rock.edu>:
> You mention in your previous post that "you need to format it", so I suppose the most likely answer is that it's not formatted, so
> therefore it's not being fully mounted (if you attempt to partition and/or then format sdc I'd think that might work).

That is like suspecting that a man on the prowl is not married. Bad suspicion!

The USB key is formatted, but it shows 1.6Gb of 2.0 GB free (19% in
use) while there are no files in it. Maybe there are 'hidden files' in
the Windows sense of the word in a Trash Can on the drive or
something. It is used on both Windows and Linux machines. No, there
are no dotfiles (Linux hidden files) on it.

>   The other
> obvious suspicion I have is that either the partitioning scheme (or perhaps the filesystem type) of what's already on the USB
> drive isn't supported in Ubuntu 8.04 (maybe there's a module you need to make sure is loaded).

It's vfat, and it works fine! I remember when they didn't work so well...

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il