[Media] 8.04 Servers - Wikipedia

Sven aluoor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 09:54:32 UTC 2008

On 10/13/08, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Every now and again questions/debates arise on this list regarding the
>  viability of Ubuntu servers in production environments. I ran across
>  these articles this evening & thought it might be of interest[1]:
>
>  http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_scores_major_wikipedia_win
[...]

Its all about money: Canonical has provided Wikipedia a donated
support contract.

The reasons why they switched from RHEL/Fedora to Ubuntu are
irrational. They wrote for example "We liked it better" and "It's nice
that people can run the same version locally"

If I am decision maker at Wikipedia, I would choose Debian or CentOS.
For more info see the Slashdot discussion[0]

kind regards
Sven

[0] http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/08/10/10/1520200.shtml