[Media] 8.04 Servers - Wikipedia

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 13 03:03:07 UTC 2008

Every now and again questions/debates arise on this list regarding the
viability of Ubuntu servers in production environments. I ran across
these articles this evening & thought it might be of interest[1]:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_scores_major_wikipedia_win
<quote>
While I find Wikipedia about as trustworthy as any random stranger at a
pub, I can't deny that Wikipedia is incredibly popular. According to the
Web traffic monitoring site Alexa on an average day 8.5% of the world's
Internet users will visit the site. That's a lot of hits. Now, to manage
this incredible load of approximately two-million unique visitors a day,
Wikipedia is moving from a hodge-podge of RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise
Linux) and Fedora servers to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Long Term Service).
 .
 .
 .
</quote>

<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9116787&>
[Wikipedia simplifies IT infrastructure by moving to one Linux vendor
It's moving 400 servers to Ubuntu Linux from a mix of Red Hat and Fedora]

[1] Certainly it's a 'Sounder' article - but given that many 'users' on
this list run Ubuntu servers (personal & commercial), and others are
considering installing Ubunutu servers, I think/hope the info is
applicable here as well.

--
Today Wikipedia... tomorrow Google?