Sharing a hard disk on the network NFS of Samba?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 19:58:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM, John DeCarlo <johndecarlo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Felipe DOMINGUEZ
> <felipe.dominguez at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to share a hard disk on the network, I have tried with samba,
>> and follow the instruction on the ubuntu documentation. it works to share a
>> local folder on the computer but it does not work to share the mounted hard
>> disk.
>
> I have seen this kind of comment before, and I don't understand it.
>
> Every hard drive, USB drive, etc. that gets mounted is mounted to a mount
> point, which is a folder.
>
> The only case this is at all difficult is the drive that mounts as "/".
>
> Otherwise mounting the hard drive and the folder it is mounted to is
>
> EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

There is a 'simple samba file sharing thingy' whose name I can't
remember but lets an end user share a folder without editing
/etc/samba/smb.conf

That software uses a file structure somewhere in /var IIRC that's
owned by the user who set it up.  And it can't handle things mounted
under /media by the system.

So, while I can't explain it very well, I can confirm that there is a
way where you can't share a disk, but you can share a folder that's in
your /home....   it's a function of the front end used, not samba
itself obviously.

Hope that makes it slightly less murky.

Brian