how to dwindle down the number of kernels in menu.lst to two

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 18:19:18 UTC 2008

Hi Scott,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Scott Berry <sberry at northlc.com> wrote:

>                I have too many kernels in my menu.lst.  i think I have like
> seven or
> eight of them.  How do i dwindle them down to two kernels at a time.
> The previous kernel say for instance linux-2.6.27-5 and 6.  I think that
> would be plenty of kernels.

There are 2 ways of doing this :
1. Open /boot/grub/menu.lst and go near the end of the file. Just comment
out the kernel (you can even comment out just the "title" part) you do not
require and the next time you boot, only the uncommented ones will be seen.
2. There is an option in /boot/grub/menu.lst named "howmany=<number>". Using
this option you can specify how many kernel entries you want to be seen in
the list.

Thanks,
Raseel