Sun Java installation issues

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Oct 9 15:51:25 UTC 2008

Glenn Holmer wrote:

>> > No. That won't fix 'java -version' and /etc/alternatives. That's why I
>> > use galternatives to modify.
>>
>> It's what I've always used.  It _has_ to set up /etc/alternatives
>
> /etc/alternatives is the product of a diseased mind.

Well, I won't argue with that - but can your alternative _possibly_ be less
deranged?

> Having said all that, it ought to be way easier for the average person
> to upgrade Java on a Linux box...

Certainly.  Install any java package from the Ubuntu package repository, and
they _should_ run update-java-alternatives themselves (last I checked, the
sun-java packages, at least, didn't - but that's a packaging bug).
--
derek