http://localhost/~user

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Oct 9 12:19:56 UTC 2008

v m wrote:
>> --- On Tue, 10/7/08, v m <vibanuny at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hello, I have apache 2.0 on linux. We have our document root on /extra/www
>>
>> There are other php applications setup on /extra/news and /extra/events
> folders, which are outside of the document root. What changes should I make to
> httpd.conf file in order for my users to access the news and events from
> http://localhost/~news  and http://localhost//~events
>>
>> I have created public_html folder in  /extra/news and /extra/events
> folders, where the doc, txt, html and php files are.
>>
>> Please help.
>>

> Look at the ALIAS command in apache.
>
> ALIAS events/ /extra/events

Please, don't top post.  Okay, if I read your OP correctly you have two
folders in /extra/ (news and events).  Those directories are outside the
document root right?

Okay if that's the case you'll need to add the <Directory> directive
just below the Alias command.  Like this:

Alias events/ /extra/events

<Directory /extra/events>
	Insert options here like Allows or Deny's
</Directory>

This should fix that problem.

You should also check the permissions on those directories to make sure
they are at least readable by the apache user (apache or www, or similar).

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support