command line work

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Oct 9 06:11:17 BST 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 10:49 -0500, David Clark wrote:
> I am now comfortable enough with Ubuntu that I want to venture out of
> the GUI. I come from a command line background-back to DOS 4 (yuck)
>
> So where do I begin?

http://books.google.de/books?id=dzBCH3x6fYEC&dq=learning+the+bash+shell

Some of the guides here: http://tldp.org/guides.html (e.g., Bash Guide
for Beginners)

Some chapters from Rutebook. Install the package rutebook from the
Ubuntu repositories, then open /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html
in your browser (or open /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz in Evince)

There are many other things you can do, but I think these will keep you
busy for a while :)