NetworkManager

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 9 00:20:33 UTC 2008

On 10/08/2008 04:03 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 11:06 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> /etc/resolv.conf _absolutely_ gets written to by the network manager
>> when using "Roaming" as you can see from the above. That is how
>> "Roaming" mode works. As Leonard has shown, it's easy to demontrate this:
>
> I think NetworkManager may indeed write to /etc/resolv.conf. In saying
> "NEVER", Derek was a bit too enthusiastic. On the other hand, I have
> been unable (and I have *looked*, quite hard) to find out what it *does*
> write!
>
> It might write the comment at the top. I'm pretty sure it does, in fact,
> but not 100% sure. To actually look at the code would be verging on the
> obsessive, so I'm not going to do that :-)

Perhaps looking at launchpad instead?
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager?field.searchtext=resolv.conf&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/256480
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/78263

/usr/share/doc/network-manager/README provides an overview, other than
that, I only know that using NM to change between roaming, dhcp, and
static modifies /etc/resolv.conf as I observed.

Note: if you rename /etc/resolv.conf (sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/resolv.conf.bak) and then open the NetworkManager (NM) Network
Settings manager, enable roaming mode (even clicking it again if you
already have it in that mode)[1], and then look in /etc/ you will find a
shiny new /etc/resolv.conf file with the obtained nameserver setttings.

[1] If it was already in Roaming mode, click Properties, turn off
Roaming (uncheck the box) & check 'cat /etc/resolv.conf' - no file. Now
check Roaming again and click OK. Give it a moment and now do 'cat
/etc/resolv.conf'... shiny new resolv.conf. So, not only does NM write
to /etc/resolv.conf, NM _creates_ /etc/resolv.conf when selecting
Roaming mode.