Sound blues are back.

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Wed Oct 8 04:09:56 UTC 2008

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:17:12 -0700
> Jim Smith <jim at oz.net> wrote:
>
> > NoOp wrote:

> a Sony
> the Live

> >> That kernel is for Hardy. Rather than running the -386, try the
> -generic
> >> (2.6.24-21-generic). I ran into some problems with sound on the earlier
> >> 2.6.24-x-386 kernels, but had no problems in -generic.
> >>

> > I have 2.6.25-2-386 which was installed for Intrepid in the
> > dist-upgrade. Booting that one gives no fanfare, no sound of any kind
> > and pulse-audio says it can't find any sound devices. The earlier kernel
> > will find the devices and will give the opening "fanfare" but still
> > won't give any sound output. Should I try the 2.6.25-2-generic?
>
> > Thank you
>
> > Jim
>
> > --
> > Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............
>

> Why not run an update on Intrepid? I show the kernel in the latest is
> 2.6.27-5-generic. I believe that fixed the audio issues.
>
> good luck,

I installed that kernel and the same is occurring. The Gnome fanfare
plays when Gnome starts up but there is no other sound. At one point
before changing kernels, I could get sound by hovering the pointer over
a music file. Now that does no work either, although the pulseaudio
volume control shows a stream is present. I'm mystified now.

Thank you for getting me this far, I'm sure there is an answer somewhere.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............