Thin Clients

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 00:52:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

>> A school system local to me asked about ...

great

>> ... Thin Clients at each school and linking the
>> server from each school to the main server. ...

I'd expect that to run out of bandwidth. Maybe OK for some files
shared across the school system, even a shared database, but
not for everything.

> It works really well and the benefits are great.
>
> Now, to run full desktop environments, you will need more than a few
> application servers.  If using commodity hardware (as opposed to dual
> Xeon with over 20GB of ram), You'll probably only want 10 to 20 clients
> per application server.

As I understand it, Edubuntu gives you a classroom server with support
for thin clients, boot-from-the-net student machines, built in. I'd say
download & test that, see what you need to add & customise.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China