Does anyone know when Openoffice 3 will be available in Ubuntu Repositories?

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 21:52:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:30:58 -0700
NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

N> > Turns out JMF needs java 6 to work properly, and I had java 5
N> > installed -- still no go with OOo yet though, and the set of codecs
N> > looks to be very limited (e.g. no DiVX).
N> >
N> >
N> >
N> >
N>
N> Once you've installed JMF, then on OOo:
N> Tools|Options|Open...|Java|ClassPath|Add Archive
N> Paths should be:
N>
N> /opt/JMF-2.1.1e/lib/jmf.jar
N> /opt/JMF-2.1.1e/lib/mp3plugin.jar
N>
N> I als have mediaplayer.jar and multiplayer.jar.
N> Also note that the mp3plugin.jar is a separate download/install.

I now have those in both OOo 2.4 and 3.0rc.
With 3.0rc it does show those movies that jmstudio can play but with 2.4
all I get with the same movies is an icon with an audio symbol.

I think that half of my original assertion still stands, it is a pain to
install, if a 12-year Linux veteran needs 4-5 attempts before it works
then Joe Q. User is not going to get it going.

And the choice of codec is limited (I have a lot of AVI's with DX50 as
that's something transcode can do out of the box from a stack of png's
-- e.g. outputs from simulations; and JMF won't touch them).

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |