Thin Clients

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Tue Oct 7 20:14:20 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> This is where we are assuming different things about his architecture.
>> When I read the first message, it said the servers at the school would
>> be connected to the central server.  I figured that meant the schools
>> would have application servers, and the central server would be for
>> things like the user database, possibly file storage.  I wouldn't
>> suggest a thin client setup on a WAN,, some organizations do it. I see
>> it more often with Citrix Winframe on Internet, but lag is much much
>> more noticeable, and X is next to useless if the network connection
>> isn't 100% stable.
>>

> Yeah, that's not how I read it at all. I read that the whole kit and
> kaboodle would be in the CO.  That's why I kept emphasizing NOT going
> that route.

20081007 1510 GMT-6

Ok. Ill clarify what was suggested to me.

Each of the 10 locations would have some type of server setup for that
school. And then each server would or could be linked back to the main
server for the district.

Several of the schools have new computers but most have 2 to 5 year old
machines. Virus and spam issues along with supporting older apps on
newer hardware is an issue.

Im basically hearing that thin clients are great for corporations
located say in one building or very close together, where they have
their own bandwidth but for a school its not necessarily the best setup.
  It can be done but unless you have a great reason for it, try
something else. Right?

Wade