Running cron under sudo

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:30:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Anthony M. Rasat
<anthony.rasat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>I'm entering sudo's cron with >"sudo crontab -e"
>
> If you tried to run crontab under root privilege, try this:
>
> sudo su
> crontab -e

That doesn't work either, but I get a strange "account expired"
message when I run "sudo su".  Looks like a clue...

tsi at tmt:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for tsi:
Your account has expired; please contact your system administrator
su: User account has expired
(Ignored)
root at tmt:/home/tsi#

A quick google suggested running the following commands:
tsi at tmt:~$ sudo passwd --unlock root
Password changed.
tsi at tmt:~$ sudo usermod --lock root

After running the above two commands root cron jobs seem to be
functioning.  Thank you for all the suggestions.