Need help recovering from hard disk failure

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 15:45:53 UTC 2008

My machine (running 8.04.1) has 3 hard drives.  Two drives are formated
with LVM and are mounted as /srv.  The other drive has /boot, /home,
swap, and /.  One of the LVM drives failed.  (I get a S.M.A.R.T BAD
during BIOS check.)  When ubuntu boots (either recovery mode, or
standard boot) eventually kicks me to busy box.  tty1 gives me some
error messages:
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/dsk/by-uuid/5...6
kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...
  (I never hibernate working on this machine.(
mount: Mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/3...3 on /root failed: Invalid argument
mount: Mounting /roog/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or
directory
mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No sush file or directory
mount: Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.

I tried un-plugging the bad disk but that has no effect.  I realize that
I probably won't be able to recover any data off of the bad disk but is
there any hope to 1) get my machine back into a bootable state, and 2)
recover data off of the other half of the LVM?

Unless someone has suggestions I was going to boot to a live cd, try to
copy as much as I can to a USB hd, and then reinstall.  I already have a
replacement hard drive to put in.
If I used gparted to set up the replacement drive can I put its uuid
into /etc/fstab and 'fix' everything?  If so how do I identify its uuid?

Thanks in advance.

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.