DHCP based pwd required internet!!

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:40:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Nay Myo Win <rim.riaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> my ISP is giving internet Access with DHCP based IP.
>
> so , to get internet i have to wait till i get their Assigned IP.
>
> and then i have to open log in page, and type in user name and password to
> use internet.
>
> if i don't get their assigned IP or If i can't sign in successfully coz of
> their bad connection, i can't totally use internet.
>

> so ,  for the time being, I m providing internet access with Proxy server
> (Microsoft ISA server) to all my XP clients.
> even with ISA server, i have to manually log in every time in the morning or
> every time i lost my DHCP ip and get again, sign in to enter credentials ISP
> gave.
>

> So , for the time being, I m very enthusiastic to use Ubuntu. and
> I would like to switch to Hardy Heron, and replace my ISA.
>
> Can Ubuntu reduce my daily doggone manual steps??

If they require that manual log in procedure, Ubuntu will too.

Now, that being said you might be able to script something up that
fills in the form for you and submits it, but strictly speaking you
could do that on Windows too...  Probably easier on Linux :-)

> I would also like to set download limit of users by means of IP address. all
> my clients are XP and they have manaully configured IP addresses.

I'm sure it's possible but I don't have a solid lead for you to start
with.  Perhaps Dan's Guardian/squid or similar...

Brian