NetworkManager

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Oct 7 03:05:04 UTC 2008

Karl Auer wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 10:57 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > Well, it may be more semantics, but dhclient, apart from being the
>> > *source* of (some of) the details, certainly has nothing to do with
>> > storing them in any configuration files. NetworkManager, on the other
>> > hand, does.
>>
>> Yes, dhclient does and no, NM doesn't.
>
> The truth is out there!
>
> This is what I did: Left-click on NM, select "manual config", add a
> search domain, close. Result - resolv.conf has the new domain in it.
> dhclient was not involved.

How do you know?

>> Those aren't even NetworkManager's dialog boxes!  When you select "manual
>> configuration" in NM, it takes you _out_ of NM.
>
> When I select an option in NetworkManager and it opens a dialogue called
> "Network Settings", I reckon it's fair enough to call that "Network
> Manager", but I take your point. Technically not NM.
>
>> OK, I don't know where that is saved, BUT IT"S NOTHING TO DO WITH NETWORK
>> MANAGER!
>
> I do know where it's saved (at least the search domains) - it is saved
> in /etc/resolv.conf. Try it.

No, it isn't.  /etc/resolv.conf is rewritten _completely_ every time
dhclient runs.  It's a result, it's not the place the DNS config is saved.

>> > BUT: The new search list *did* get written into /etc/resolv.conf!
>>
>> And THAT is dhclient.
>
> No, it was NOT dhclient. dhclient had not yet been triggered. This was
> done solely within the "Network Settings" dialogue, without requesting a
> reconnect.

Even if the network setting control module puts the domain there itself,
that's not where the setting is saved that the control module reads,
because dhclient is going to overwrite it.
--
derek