Ubuntu 8.0.4 can not update and install new software

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue Oct 7 05:11:12 UTC 2008

chenym <nudtchenym at gmail.com> wrote:

> 在 2008-10-07二的 00:36 +0200,Florian Diesch写道:
>> chenym <nudtchenym at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, everyone
>> > My ubuntu 8.0.4 cann't update and install new software any more! when
>> > doing these works, following message is displayed:
>> >
>> > preparing to replace util-linux 2.13.1-5ubuntu2
>> > (using .../util-linux_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
>> > install-info: donn't specify the index file;try --help to obtain more
>> > information。
>> > dpkg:warning -  older pre-removal script, when exitting, return error
>> > code 1
>> > dpkg - now, try ro use new software package's script...
>> > install-info: don not specify index file; try --help to obtain more
>> > information。
>> > dpkg:while
>> > dealing /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
>> > (--unpack), errors occur:
>> > subprocess, new pre-removal scirpt, return error code 1
>> > install-info:unrecognized option“--description=System V interprocess
>> > communication facilities”
>> > try “install-info --help” to get complete list about option。
>> > dpkg: while finish clean, error occur:
>> > subprocess post-installation script return error code 1
>> > while dealing, following error occur:
>> > /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
>> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>> >
>> > why?
>>
>> It seems that the currently installed version of util-linux expects
>> another version of  install-info then the one that is installed. Did
>> you mix different version of ubuntu or are you using third party
>> repositories?
>> What do
>>   install-info --version
>> and
>>   where install-info
>> and
>>   egrep -v '^\s*(#|$)' /etc/apt/sources.list
>> print if you execute them in a terminal window?

> There some kernel versions in my computer. This problem occurred when
> updating while computer is shut down suddenly!
>
> some results is as follows:
>
> install-info --version:
> install-info (GNU texinfo) 4.9

That's the problem. In hardy install-info has to be the install-info
from dpkg (/usr/sbin/install-info), texinfo's install-info is
/usr/bin/ginstall-info.  Calling ginstall-info with install-info
syntax reproduces your error message.

Did you install another texinfo by hand, e.g. with a TeX distribution?

> where install-info
> bash: where:can not find command

Oh sorry, it's which  install-info for bash.

What do
  sudo which install-info
and
  sudo dpkg -S $(which install-info)
and
 /usr/sbin/install-info  --version
and
 sudo sh -c 'echo $PATH'
return?

If /usr/sbin/install-info  --version doesn't print something like
   Debian install-info Version 1.14.16.6ubuntu1.

   Copyright (C) 1994,1995 Ian Jackson.
   Dies ist freie Software; lesen Sie die GNU General Public License in der
   Version 2 oder höher für Kopierbedingungen. Es wird KEINE Haftung
   übernommen.

then
  sudo apt-get install --reinstall dpkg
should fix your problem, but it may break whatever software requires
the currently installed  /usr/sbin/install-info, so you better try to
find out where this belongs to.

if /usr/sbin/install-info  --version prints something like above then
there's another install-info in your $PATH (sudo which install-info
tells which one). In this case it may be enough to change $PATH so
that this  install-info isn't found before /usr/sbin/install-info
anymore, e.g. by putting  /usr/sbin/ in front of everything else.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>