Network transfer rates

Michael Stack stack.mike at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 01:13:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Michael Stack <stack.mike at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have two networked computers at home, both wireless. Computer A is a WinXP
>> SP3 laptop, and computer B is a dual-boot Win XP/Ubuntu 8.04. They're
>> connected to a Linksys router (a cheapie - I can get model info if anyone
>> thinks that might be the issue, but I wouldn't think so - see below)
>>
>> The problem I'm having is that when I'm running Ubuntu on computer B, file
>> transfers between the two computers are painfully slow. The problem does not
>> seem to be service-specific either - I've experiemented with SMB, FTP, HTTP,
>> and SCP, and all suffer from insufferably slow transfer rates - something
>> like 8k per second.
>
> I'd start by plugging the laptop into the desktop and transferring the
> file via ethernet  ( you might need a xover cable if your cards aren't
> auto switching, and the router is too far away )  That will narrow the
> issue down a bit.
>
> Brian

Thanks to all who replied for all the great suggestions. Let's see:

1. Connect them via a network cable. That's a good idea - I'll grab a
cross over cable from work tomorrow and get that a try. One thing I
thought about is that there are some things that work fine via the
wired connections on my router, but not the wireless.

For example, using a wired connection to my computer & Xbox 360, I can
feed movies to my console. If I'm using a wireless connection on my
computer, I'm not able to access the movies. IIRC, I did some digging
and discovered this was a limitation of my router. Hoewver, this
particular problem I'm having isn't an issue when they're both running
XP so that tends to argue against the router being responsible.

As I said, I'll try the cross over tomorrow.

2. Ethtool & traffic control - I'm not familiar w/ either of these
applications, but I'll take a look and see if anything looks wrong.
I'll definitely take a look at the duplex settings.

3. Regarding wireless adapter type: I am using a dlink USB wireless
adapter - I'll have to see if I can track down the specific model and
send that info along w/ my test results tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

Michael