Ubuntu 8.0.4 can not update and install new software

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon Oct 6 22:36:43 UTC 2008

chenym <nudtchenym at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, everyone
> My ubuntu 8.0.4 cann't update and install new software any more! when
> doing these works, following message is displayed:
>
> preparing to replace util-linux 2.13.1-5ubuntu2
> (using .../util-linux_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
> install-info: donn't specify the index file;try --help to obtain more
> information。
> dpkg:warning -  older pre-removal script, when exitting, return error
> code 1
> dpkg - now, try ro use new software package's script...
> install-info: don not specify index file; try --help to obtain more
> information。
> dpkg:while
> dealing /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
> (--unpack), errors occur:
> subprocess, new pre-removal scirpt, return error code 1
> install-info:unrecognized option“--description=System V interprocess
> communication facilities”
> try “install-info --help” to get complete list about option。
> dpkg: while finish clean, error occur:
> subprocess post-installation script return error code 1
> while dealing, following error occur:
> /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.13.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
>
> why?

It seems that the currently installed version of util-linux expects
another version of  install-info then the one that is installed. Did
you mix different version of ubuntu or are you using third party
repositories?
What do
  install-info --version
and
  where install-info
and
  egrep -v '^\s*(#|$)' /etc/apt/sources.list
print if you execute them in a terminal window?

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>