Network transfer rates

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Oct 6 22:23:09 UTC 2008

Michael Stack wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
>
> Michael

Things to try.

1.  Try the transfers with the system connected with a network cable.
This will tell you if it's the wireless driver (possibly, what wireless
card do you have?) or if it's something with the network settings in Ubuntu.

2.  If the transfer is still flaky with it wired, look at the
speed/duplex settings.  ethtool is your friend in this case, run it from
the command line and it will tell you the speed and duplex options for
the particular interface.  I've seen more than one problem like this
because of a duplex mismatch or autonegotiate issue.

A lot depends on your wireless card.  A flaky driver will cause those
problems, but I've not seen a linux driver that is /that/ flaky in a
while, the new wireless drivers are really very good.

HTH.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support