Network transfer rates

Michael Stack stack.mike at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 20:03:14 UTC 2008

All,

I apologize - I didn't realize that gmail uses rich text formatting by
default. I hemmed on whether or not to re-send in plain text -
apologies for those who are viewing this a 2nd time.

Hello,

I'm having a problem w/ my network since I switched to Ubuntu (8.04)
and was hoping somebody here might be able to help me out.

I have two networked computers at home, both wireless. Computer A is a
WinXP SP3 laptop, and computer B is a dual-boot Win XP/Ubuntu 8.04.
They're connected to a Linksys router (a cheapie - I can get model
info if anyone thinks that might be the issue, but I wouldn't think so
- see below)

The problem I'm having is that when I'm running Ubuntu on computer B,
file transfers between the two computers are painfully slow. The
problem does not seem to be service-specific either - I've
experiemented with SMB, FTP, HTTP, and SCP, and all suffer from
insufferably slow transfer rates - something like 8k per second.

Both computers can access the Internet with much faster connect
speeds, and when computer B is running windows, comp-to-comp file
transfers are just fine. It's only when B is running Ubuntu that I
have this problem.

To recap:

1. Doesn't seem to be a hardware problem since it works when
transferring from Windows to Windows (though this of course doesn't
rule out driver-type issues, incompatabilities w/ Ubuntu, etc).

2. Doesn't seem to be a generic network problem as both computers can
access the internet with much faster transfer rates (~ 200 kb/sec).

3. The problem only occurs when I'm running Ubuntu and I try to
transfer files from computer A (Windows) to computer B (Ubuntu) (or
vice versa, from Ubuntu to Windows)

4. The problem seems to be protocol independent.

I've googled around and have been unable to find anything like this.
Most of the stuff I've found is specific to SMB.

I'm happy to provide any diagnostic output that would be useful -
sadly I know too little to know in advance what type of output would
be useful. :)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Michael