Booting problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Oct 6 13:05:36 UTC 2008

Keith Powell wrote:
> My set-up here is two internal hard drives. One has XP on it and the
> other Ubuntu  8.04.1. Each installation is entirely separate. While the
> BIOS is booting, I select which hard drive to use.
>
> This has been working perfectly until a couple of days ago. Now I am
> having a big problem!
>
> With only the Ubuntu hard drive plugged in, it boots correctly.
>
> However, with both hard drives plugged in, Ubuntu starts booting and
> then stops with the error message:
>
> BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
> (initramfs)_
>
> I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but get the same message.
> I have tried using the XP System restore and going back to an earlier
> point (in case there was an XP problem).
> I have even reinstalled Ubuntu with the XP drive unplugged.
>
> All are the same: Ubuntu is OK if XP is unplugged, no good if it's
> plugged in. For information, XP runs whether both drives are plugged in
> or if the Ubuntu is unplugged.
>
> It's defeated me and I don't know what's causing it.
>
> Any ideas, please? (Apart from "Don't use Windows!!)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Keith

    Sounds as if you have my problem. When I plug in both my IDE and
SATA hard drives the BIOS goes nuts. It is a feature of the Award Bios
that it can't get SATA and IDE to work together. On mine it depends
which HD was last used. Drove me mad.

    I suggest you try a dual boot of Windows and Ubuntu on the Windows
HD. Bet that works fine.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI