My SCSI Data Drive

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Mon Oct 6 02:50:36 UTC 2008

On 06/10/2008, at 1:27 PM, Edgar Sarino wrote:

> This is a follow-up request to an earlier inquiry.
>
> I have successfully mounted my 137 GB SCSI drive to Ubuntu 8.04
> Desktop.

Well done :)

> How do I mount it permanently?  It seems to disappear after a logout
> and login.
>
> How do I save data to it?  (I assume that the temporary mounting is
> part of the problem.)

You're probably correct about the saving data thing - not much use if
it doesn't mount at boot eh?  Here's how to fix it:

1. Open a terminal
2. Type "gksudo gedit /etc/fstab" (without the "")
3. You're now looking at the file system mounting configuration
(basically).  Add a line that looks like this:
/dev/sd??     /path/to/mount/point     ext3     defaults      0   2
4. Once you're done, save the file and exit.
5. From the command line type "sudo mount -a" and you're done!

Read below BEFORE doing the above steps.

The columns (in order from left to right) in step #3 are:
<file system> - ie, the device (or network share) you want to mount
<mount point> - where you want the device to appear in the file tree
<type>        - the file system used on the device
<options>     - any option specific to the <type> being mounted
<dump>        - binary value to tell "dump" is a file sytem should be
dumped 1=yes, 0=no
<pass>        - tell "fsck" the order in which to check file systems,
the root (/) should ALWAYS be 1, and all other file systems should
ALWAYS begin at 2.

So in your case, you might need to change the "ext3" to the correct
file system you formatted the drive with.  Similarly, you *WILL* need
to change the first two fields to match their correct values.  Other
than that, you can cut-and-paste that line as-is.

> Thank you for your attention to this matter.

You're very welcome :)

--
James