NetworkManager

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Oct 5 18:44:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:08 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> OK - that's a matter of semantics - it seems to me that if you
> don't "enable" it, you aren't really using manual configuration
> [of NetworkManager]

True. But see below.

> > they are reset to whatever NetworkManager thinks they should be.
>
> It's NOT NetworkManager.  It's dhclient.  NM has nothing to do with your
> DHCP settings, it _only_ triggers the execution of dhclient.

Well, it may be more semantics, but dhclient, apart from being the
*source* of (some of) the details, certainly has nothing to do with
storing them in any configuration files. NetworkManager, on the other
hand, does. It seems reasonable to say that it was NetworkManager
resetting the details I was seeing in its dialogue boxes.

So, just to be bloody-minded, I just went and added a domain to the
search list in the Network manager dialogue again. It had no effect
on /etc/network/interfaces at all.

BUT: The new search list *did* get written into /etc/resolv.conf! Which
means (just to confuse the issue totally) - that it dang well should
have worked when I did it the first time. At least until NetworkManager
renewed or rediscovered an address and overrode the details
in /etc/resolv.conf with those from the DHCP client. In fact, it makes
me wonder if I was too clever by half and DID tell NetworkManager to
reconnect after I made the change - maybe to see if the change would
stick?

Nnnngggggg...

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28