NetworkManager

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Oct 5 19:04:11 BST 2008

Karl Auer wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:47 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > After a complete reboot, it all came good. I don't understand why
>> > "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" was not sufficient.
>>
>> Because _that_ doesn't touch NM-configured interfaces!
>
> It should not have been necessary to restart NM, because as you yourself
> said, it just uses whatever comes back from DHCP. Restarting networking
> should have done the trick.

You're not paying attention.

>>   Read the code - it
>> only looks through /etc/network/interfaces, and NM only handles
>> interfaces if they're _not_ in .../interfaces.
>
> The interface concerned was not in /etc/network/interfaces.

Precisely - it's a NM-managed interface - but "networking restart" ONLY
touches interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces (OK, reading the code
wouldn't actually have told you that - but it does "ifdown -a" and _that_
only works against .../interfaces)

So, you need to do "/etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart".
--
derek