Strange x-windows

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 5 07:36:02 UTC 2008

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I have problems with x-windows. Most of the time it works fine and
>> no complaint. But when it goes bad the entire screen changes to a
>> strange pattern and my mouse and keyboard do not work. This sounds to me
>> like a problem with the x-windows files, since the screen and mouse and
>> keyboard are all made useless. The only repair is to hit the power
>> switch and start over.
>>
>>     My question is, does anyone else have this same problem?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Firstly,
>
> If this fails, go to another machine, try to ssh in.
> sudo apt-get install ssh-server
> would prepare the machine so it would be available remotely.
>
> To be honest, strange things like this tend to be hardware related.
>
> For instance, some item of hardware failing. Strongly suggest you make a
> backup of anything that is valuable to you.
>
> Check it is not one of the peripherals by swapping them for known good
> ones, mouse keyboard etc.
>
> Make sure the power lead is firmly inserted into the monitor.
>
> Remove and plug back in mouse/keyboard.
> (Hope you are not on a laptop or this advice more than likely becomes moot.)
>
> If you are on an externally secured lan and can and and willing to trust
> the other occupants of the network you could run XDMCP, and then from
> another working machine try to connect to X on the problem machine.
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul

Thanks for the URL Paul. That key sequence is interesting! Be
interesting to try next time.

    The system at fault has been failing for 6 months and is a table
model PC with Hardy at the moment. It started with Fedora 8 and through
Gutsy. I think it is hardware but not sure how a hardware failure
effects all three, the screen and keyboard and mouse. The keyboard
Ctrl-Alt-1 does not work.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI