how to change scrolling distance in tty terms

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 17:57:22 BST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Joe Burgess <joemburgess at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, so I use the tty consoles a good amount (the ones you get to by
> going ctlr-alt f1) and I was wondering if it possible to increase the
> distance you can scroll back.  I know you press shift-pg up to scroll
> back but really it doesn't go very far.  is this possible?
>
> thanks,
> Joe

Joe

As I understand it, the amount of scrollback is controlled by the ram
in your video card.   If you flip screens back and forth, the
scrollback is lost.

You might get more lines by decreasing the resolution - e.g. change
the vga= line in grub to something lower or go all the way back to
80x25  -  I haven't actually tested this but it makes sense it would
work that way.

Brian