NetworkManager

Dustin Breese dustin.breese at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 12:21:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> In general, NetworkManager works pretty well for m. It swaps
> automagically from my wired network to my wireless network and back, I
> can select from the various networks available, and it handles WPA with
> great aplomb.
>
> BUT: I need to set up a domain search list. I have
> edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
> ignored.
>
> I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains in
> the search list on the "DNS" tab, but NetworkManager just sets them back
> to what they were before.
>
> As far as I can tell, Network Manager uses whatever the DHCP server
> sends - and that's it. I don't want to alter what the DHCP server sends,
> I want to override it locally.
>
> Anyone know how to do that?
>
> Regards, K.

Karl,

Not sure if I follow exactly what you want, but I've used the
/etc/network/if*.d scripts to override network settings (had a script
that took out a bad DNS entry which constantly had issues, but my ISP
refused to fix).  The scripts can be called at different times during
the interfaces lifecycle.

Perhaps you could script it so that your domains are added AFTER the
iface is configured via network manager?

-Dustin