Password

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Oct 3 14:57:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:07:14PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ruben Safir wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:33:36AM +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> > > You need to start in single mode then change his password. Do this by
> > > appending kernel line in grub menu a single word "single" then press
> > > enter and b button to boot. You will enter command line mode without
> > > login as root. Change his password and reboot. You will be able to
> > > start login using this new password.
> >
> > This setting is sometimmes not enough if you have a password set on
> > single user mode.
>
> What is a "password set on single user mode"? Can you explain what you are
> talking about?

Yes - grub can be set up to demand a root password in single user mode
and as a matter of fact, debian distro's default to this setting and
have done so for more years than I care to remember.

> > The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and
> > remove the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root.  You'll
> > then have access.
>
> Don't do that because then you don't have a root account any longer.

A little common sense aplied would bring one to conclude that you don't
delete the whole entry, just the password in the files.

My apologies if I wasn't more explicit.

> That
> is definitely NOT what you want. Furthermore it doesn't give you access
> to your user account.

access to root gives you access to everything, but by all means, remove
the passwords from your user user accounts as well.