Password

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Oct 3 14:53:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:10:45PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Ruben Safir wrote:

> > The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and remove
> > the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root.  You'll then have
> > access.
>    that doesn't work too if you are using shadow passwords.

No, factually that is incorrect.  if you remove the password from the
shadow password file and from the password file, you can get right in.

I'd be happy to bet you 2 cheese cakes on this.  This is th surefire way
to break into ANY unix system that you have your hands on the consel.

I don't know the experience of the people I'm speaking to on this list
but know I am speaking truth here.  This is not a Ubuntu problem.  It is
a standard *nix system admin problem and it is solved with your vi
editor, mount on a boot disk.

Ruben